Saturday, March 17, 2007

There's nothing like a snowy St. Patrick's Day, with a gorgeous new hair color and free flowers...

I can't even tell you how happy I am to have a new job! Even if it is still a bank job, hence, not the "dream job," it is still a better job, I am sure, than the old one. Pretty much since I got the full-time job at BankNorth, I have not liked it very much. No, it hasn't been terrible or anything, but we are very understaffed (and will be more so with the subtraction of moi), and the staff that are there, besides the headteller and Dottie, who works are Saturdays, are not great to work with. My manager will not learn how to work a teller drawer (apparently it is beneath her), will not work on Saturdays, and is general, snobby. She also has no previous banking experience. The assistant manager is a nice guy, but he is pretty irresponsible and basically doesn't want to work part of the time. I'm pretty sure he wants to quit, too.

Anyway, I've been looking for a new job for a while, and finally, I have one with St. Mary's Credit Union in Marlborough. They are a small bank and only have five branches. I will be working at a branch that is a quarter mile away from me; hence, I will be walking to work most of the time. And there is a Starbucks on the way!! Yay, so I can spend money on coffee and not on gas for my car. Plus, I will get paid more (about a 7% raise) and have three weeks of vacay per year.

Well, anyway, so I'm very euphoric about all that. I'm not sure what will happen when I turn in my resignation letter on Monday. I'm giving BankNorth my two weeks notice, but honestly, they may not let me stay because I am going to a competing bank. However, if this happens, I will just try to start at St. Mary's earlier and possibly go to Pennsylvania to visit Paul next weekend or the week after that. I was going to visit him Easter weekend and take two days off, but I can't really do that once I start a new job. But I know I will get to visit him sometime soon.

Another trip is being planned as well. Abby moved to Scottsdale, Arizona, and I am going to visit her over the Memorial Day Holiday. I've never been to the Southwest and I live to travel, and I really am so excited about seeing Abby. I've been looking up some things to do and there are several museums, lots of shopping, and great Mexican food. Plus, the scenery! Desert sky, dream beneath the desert sky...Now I just need to venture to the Joshua Tree National Park in California.

Well, after a lovely week in weather and a seventy-degree Wednesday, we had a huge snowstorm yesterday. I'm not sure how much snow we got here, but it was over half-a-foot. I worked until 6:30 yesterday and it was a little bad on the roads getting home, but not terrible. Then, Brian and I went to dinner at a place called Lombardo's, which is right across the street. It was a lovely, yummy dinner complete with riesling, bread and cheese, portobello mushrooms, red snapper for me and salmon for Brian, and some delicious risotto. We watched the snow fall on the lovely night of a thousand stars.

Today, I didn't have to work (yay), and I went to get my hair colored and cut. Now I have brown hair again. I stopped at a flower shop on the way home, which is owned by a lady I know who comes into the bank, and bought two gerber daisies and she gave me some tulips and daffodils, gratis. I also bought a cute catfood dish at a pet store for Morgie.

Anyway, today is St. Patrick's Day, and we had two invitations tonight, which is a rarity. The first was to dinner in Boston, which would be really fun on St. Patty's day, but I think we're going out to Spencer to spend time with Keith and Sarah.

It has been a good week.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Congratulations! I know EXACTLY how you feel. :o)

On A Windy Night said...

Oooh I can't wait to see your new hair color! And congrats about your new job!!

- Mary

PS Here's my new personal blog (in addition to my history one!)