Sunday, March 04, 2007

Another winter's day in Paris and Rome, and I want to go home, let me go home...


My trip home was really, really wonderful and in fact, I never wanted to come back to Mass., save for Brian's love and my furry friend, Morgan (umm, my cat if you don't know already). Actually, the trip didn't start off so hot considering I got to the Providence airport at 5:30 am and my flight left at 6; I was very late and frightened that I would miss my flight, but I made it on time. The problem was that it snowed on Thursday night (the 22nd) and on Friday, we had to leave at 4 am, and we woke up at 3:40. Long story short, Brian couldn't get out of the parking lot he parked in because of the steep hill, and so we had to take my car, which I almost didn't get out of either. It was scary. Anyway, we flew out on time, I had an hour layover in Cleveland and arrived ten minutes early in Louisville. I cried when the plane landed; I was happy to be home. Mom picked me up at the airport and we went to Eliot's house, where we got ready for Jennifer's bridesmaid luncheon. I didn't look so hot, but mom looked nice and we headed over to 211 Clover Lane. It was a nice lunch hosted by my cousin Hunter, her mother Jeana, and her grandmother and my favorite great aunt, Jane Hope. I had salad, shrimp and grits, and a lovely chocolate mousse. After lunch, mom and I went to Grandad's house, I had an eye exam at Walmart, and then I went home and dyed my hair because it looked horrendous. Then, Mom and I went shopping at Oxmoor, where we attempted to find some cool panty hose for her for the wedding the next day. When that didn't pan out (she wanted fishnets, I said no), we went to Buca di Beppo and met Walt, Graham, Kenny, my stepsister Mel and her husband Mike, Yvette's (my other stepsister) kids Clayton and Stirling, and Katherine and Eric. I love the Buca, and they changed the Pope room to reflect Pope Benedict the whatever number. It was cool! The food is semi-semi, but the ambiance is excellent for large groups. Mom brought a lovely home-made red velvet cake (a southern girl's favorite) and Stirling (our six-year gigolo-in-training) met some high school girls who wanted a picture with him. After dinner, I went out to Kat and Eric's to see their little Mabel and she is such a cutie.

Saturday, I picked up my friend Nora for brunch at Lynn's Paradise Cafe, a quirky Louisville restaurant that is renowned for egg-cellent breakfasts (that is hokey!), ugly lamp contests, and fabulous southern cuisine. Nora was dating Brian's friend, Matt, who actually dated Kyla and introduced me to Brian two years ago. However, they broke up amicably about two weeks ago. They lived together for the past eleven months, and are now moving to separate places. Gosh, I don't want that to happen to Brian and me. Anyway, he's moody and I understand the reasons for their separation and she really just wants to be single right now, I think. Nora's a great person to talk to and we have a lot in common anyway. Random note: she likes William Faulkner a lot.

After brunch, we drove over to Off Broadway shoes and World Market. I drove her home and went to Target to buy a few cool shirts on sale. I rested a little bit at home and then drove to Christ Church Methodist about a half hour before Jennifer's wedding, so that I could see her in her lovely dress. Jennifer's twin sister, Melissa, was the matron of honor and is also five months pregnant, but she is small, so it didn't show much. Anyway, the wedding party looked splendid and the wedding itself was great, fine, you know. It was raining, which is apparently a sign of good luck for a wedding. The reception was at the Seelbach (very expensive), and the band was great. The food was so-so, but the cake was fabulous-looking.

Sunday, I went over to Stephanie's house to see her son, Hayden, before we went to lunch at Buckhead's in Indiana with Lindsey and Linda, two other people I worked with at Stockyards. It was great to see them, but the service was horrible. However, we got our food for free because of the screw-ups. Steph is pregant, too, and her baby is due nine days before Melissa's. There seem to be a lot of pregnancies right now; Sarah Rutkiwicz (Keith's wife; he plays Friday night gigs with Brian) is also preggers (oooh, I hate that word). She's not due until October, though.

It has become an annual tradition that my family participate in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters bowling tournament. We've done this for the past four years. It's quite fun; we raise money for charity and get two games of bowling, shoes, and pizza for free. That was also, coincidentally on Sunday afternoon. It was great and I got to meet Eliot's new little brother, Trey, who is really cute and very talkative. And I scored 128 on my second game; bowling is like my new favorite pastime. I kept thinking about "The Big Lebowski" and the Jesus (character played by John Torturro) the whole time.
The rest of the trip was fun. I went to my friend Natalie's house to watch the oscars and see her wedding pictures. Then, I made an appearance at Celeste's and watched the rest of the show with her and Phil. Kyla and Brian also stopped by to say hello. On Monday, Grandad and I met Mom and Walt at my favorite bakery, Plehn's and said our goodbyes before Grandad took me to the airport for my 11:20 flight; needless to say, this time, I was quite punctual. I had a lovely layover at the newly remodeled Detroit airport (which has a cool light show between the concourses and a futuristic tram in the Northwest terminal). I got into Providence at 3:30 and Brian surprised me by parking and meeting me at baggage. We went home and then went to Acapulco's, where we got some much needed Mexican food. I was happy to see my love and my cat. Brian said something about engagement rings being expensive; I don't know what that means. I decided to skip choir because I was tired.

Work has pretty much been bad this week. Well, not terrible, but, I just want to leave!! So, I'm waiting on this credit union for an answer and I am so qualified for this position. My boss Marie is such a b, she knows nothing about banking, she's a shitty manager in general, and the list goes on and on and on. I can say other things about the other people I work with, save for Dottie, but I won't mention them here.

I only went to the gym twice last week, but that is alright. I know I talk about food alot, but I feel like I should be a critic sometimes.

Friday night, Brian and I went to Sakura in Worcester with Keith and the newly-pregnant Sarah; she didn't eat a lot of fish. We had a good, but quite expensive sushi dinner. We went home, fell alsleep very early and I had to get up to work (of course) on Saturday. Work was okay and I like gossiping with Dottie about the ultimate doom of the bank. Dottie only works Saturdays and the manager doesn't work any Saturdays because it is beneath her, so she has never met Dottie. Therefore, Dottie doesn't like the manager. I had choir rehearsal afterwards because we have a concert next week. After choir, I came home and relaxed with Bri for a bit and then we went to Autozone and the grocery, where Brian and I bought $177 worth of groceries (including a $30 Brita water purifier). Everything is more expensive here, I swear.
I invited Brian's parents over for brunch today and prepared four foods for the occasion-- pineapple casserole, fruit salad, interesting Martha Stewart muffins, and the familiar favorite, spinach quiche. I think it was a successful meal and we always have fun with Brian's parents. We ate and played Hearts until Brian lost with a score of 100. The game is about having a low score, not a high one.
The only other mentionable thing that happened today is that I got an oil change and the freaking door handle on the driver's side of my car is broken, so I have to crawl over from the passenger's side. I mean, it's not that big of a deal, but I need to get it fixed this week and it will be a busy one.

Wish me luck on getting a new job-- very, very, very soon!

No comments: