Sunday, December 07, 2008

It goes like this, the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall, the major lift, the baffled king composed Hallelujah...

Although this week was not really a stressful week at school, I was nevertheless happy to be home on Friday afternoon, to relax and reflect. My job can be very challenging and stressful, but it is almost never boring, unlike the job at the credit union, and for that I am appreciative and satisfied. Yet, I also worry about these kids, not only in school, but what will become of them in the future. I think for some of them, the real world will be very harsh; I wish it were not so, but reality can really be a disillusionment at times.

After hearing about my friend Dena's upcoming engagement party in Oxford, Mississippi, in February, I decided (a little bit impulsively) that I wanted to go. The last time I was there was in the spring of 2006 to see my old roommate, Allison's, senior recital. I have to admit that I am often haunted by the deep south and feel myself drawn there. So, I purchased a plane ticket on Friday afternoon from Providence to Memphis, and now I am delighted that I made this decision. I see my friends traveling to all these different cities and countries and I must admit, yes, I am jealous. One person I know from high school aspires to travel to fifty different countries before she reaches age 28, and she said she is almost there. Although I don't think of her travel is work-related and I don't have a clue how she affords it, but that is really not my business.

On Friday, all I did was relax and watch reruns of "The Office." Funny show. Saturday, I prepared a special birthday dinner for my mother-in-law-- a spinach salad, cajun shrimp casserole, and a peppermint chocolate cake that she loves (and is so rich that I only make it once a year). We had a nice evening having dinner and playing a downloaded demo version of "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?" (I wasn't, at least not every round). On Sunday, I sang at church, had lunch with Mary in Burlington, we shopped at L.L. Bean and Ann Taylor Loft, and had the most wonderful pedicures at the Green Tangerine salon.

It was nice coming home to my husband on Sunday evening. All we did was lay around, watched more episodes of "The Office" and snuggled in the cold, New England winter.

No comments: