Thursday, November 27, 2008

Pie for everyone

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday; it even tops Christmas and Halloween (and even my birthday) for the year. There are no presents and if you're not hosting the big feast, there is not much work involved. However, I always have to make a dish or two (or four this year) for the dinner because I love to cook! Yesterday, after getting off of work at 10:30 am (woo hoo), I came home, watched Beverly Hills 90210, and made my homemade pie crusts, which actually turned out well, except that they are a little fragile on the edges. Actually, I am really looking forward to hosting my own Thanksgiving dinner someday, especially when we have a lovely house to host it in and more than four chairs.

On such a happy day, I feel so bad for all the people who died or have been injured in India. At the gym today though, I had a hard time watching CNN with the coverage of the attacks. It is just hard for me to grasp it all. In the Crowded House song, "Don't Dream it's Over," there's a line that says "in the paper today, tales of war and of waste, but you turn right over to the TV page." I often feel like I am the most superficial person for doing this, but I also know this is kind of the norm for our generation. A teenager is more familiar with Paris Hilton and the Jonas Brothers than Dick Cheney or Angela Merkel (the Chancellor of Germany). It is extremely sad.

Anyway, we are going to Gretchen and Andy's house for dinner at three, where we will eat, gab, and play "Scene It: The DVD game." I'll miss my family in Kentucky, but it won't be too long before we are home with them.

No comments: