Thursday, October 16, 2008

In the New York Minute...


View from UN Millennium Plaza!

This past weekend was one of the best I have had in a long while. As aforementioned, the fall is amazing up here in New England and not too shabby in New York City either. On Friday afternoon, I drove to Stamford, Connecticut, to catch the train, and ended up being in more traffic than I had hoped for, but that was fine. I arrived at Grand Central Station at 6:45 and walked to the UN Millennium Plaza on 44th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenue. Our room was on the 37th floor and the view was totally amazing!! Also, the decor for the room was very fresh and modern. It was certainly the best $300 I have spent on a hotel room in New York and it was even better than the Plaza near Central Park. I met Paul near Penn Station at eight and we walked around for a while looking for places to eat. We ended up at this little neighborhood joint called Duke's (mediocre) and then went back to the hotel. With both of us working in schools, we were quite tired and fell asleep instead of going out on the town (sorry Paul!).

On Saturday, we had coffee/chai tea in Bryant Park, bought tickets to see Spring Awakening, and had brunch in Hell's Kitchen. The show started at 2 pm and well, it was quite different from any musical I had ever seen. First of all, audience members were actually sitting on the stage, and secondly, it was based on a very scandalous play written in the 1890's, which I thought was simply astonishing. The music was composed by Duncan Sheik, who had a hit with "Barely Breathing" in the 1990's. Also, the show won a Tony Award for Best Musical in 2007. I'm not the most eloquent in describing the shows I've seen, but I will say that this was a musical I will never forget. I don't think Paul will, either.

We ended our short trip to NYC after we dined at a nice Mexican restaurant and headed off in different directions towards home. We will continue to keep our October tradition with a trip to New York next year!

No comments: