Sunday, August 17, 2008

Never forget who you are, little star...

It has been a very good, yet sort of exhausting week since I returned from my interesting trip to Kentucky. I flew back into Providence on Tuesday night, Brian picked me up from the airport, and I stayed up for a while unpacking, etc. Did I mention we now just have a lot of stuff hanging around our apartment? Don't get me wrong, we are so happy about all of our lovely things that we have received for our wedding, but our apartment just does not have any storage space!

On Wednesday, I had my interview for the instructional aide in the Northborough/Southborough school district. Everything went a lot more smoothly for this interview than for the one I had in Acton, which I was later for. That was embarrassing, but I couldn't find the building, and I had to run to get to to the interview! This time, I was about ten minutes early and I wasn't sweating profusely when I got there. Nor did I have several blisters on my feet afterwards. Anyway, the woman who interviewed me had a lot of questions and it seemed like she actually wanted to hire me. And then, she offered me a job right after my interview. It was an awesome day!! They had to check my references first, but that went well and on Thursday, I came in to talk to another person in pupil services and signed paperwork for my new job. My first day is next Monday and the first day for the students is on the 27th. I'm a little bit nervous just because this is a completely different position for me, but I think it will a be a great start to my teaching career! The only drawback is that I'm only working thirty hours a week for this position (and it is paid by the hour).

I ran a lot of errands this week as well. I changed my name at the social security office (the rmv will be next week), I bought a wonderful vacuum and storage unit for the hall at Bed, Bath, and Beyond (thanks to Chrissy and Jason and Katherine and Eric), bought a kitchen pantry cart at Target (it makes life and storage much easier), and returned a dress to Anthropologie in exchange for a very cute light pink top (love, love, love that store). Also, I went to the dentist on Thursday and while I was there chatting with my gregarious dental hygienist, she asked if I wanted to babysit her two children (ages 11 and 13) on a regular basis, three days a week. So, that will be the other nine hours of work for me.

Choir will start in a few weeks and I am looking forward to it. Also, the organist from my wedding (who I also know from playing for several of the choir's performances) asked me to help boost her church chorus in a performance on Sept. 21. I love any kind of singing opportunity. As aforementioned, I am singing "On Eagle's Wings" at my brother's wedding in September and the song is really growing on me. I hope to memorize it before the big day.

Yesterday I went to my friend Mary's birthday party on a pond near in the South Shore area. I made a derby pie, picked up Natyra at Riverside, and we drove to Hanson, Mass. for the party. Mary's family has owned a nice piece of property by a pond in this town for a very long time and she celebrates her birthday here every year. Last year, I wasn't able to make it because I was in Kentucky. I think everyone had a great time! Some folks went swimming in the pond (it was a little cold), I went canoeing with their friend Mark and Mary sat in our boat (I rocked that boat!), we had a great cookout with hot dogs, brauts, hamburgs, veggie burgs, and then sang songs next to the campfire while Mary played her guitar. It was really fun and I truly enjoy hanging out with this group of people. They are intelligent and genuine and funny! Seneca and Michael brought their baby, Jackson Michael (yes, he is named after the singer; I love it!), and he was so precious. He made me think about how much I want to have children, even though we are going to wait. Anyway, Natyra (or should I say Tyra, inside joke) and I got lost on the way home, ended up going through Boston (this wasn't the intention) and I drove her back to her apartment in Brighton. Actually, I was glad to do this because I didn't want to drop her off by herself at the train station late at night.

Today, Brian and I are going to Cambridge to meet a few people for a late lunch and we might see "The Pineapple Express." Tomorrow I have to take my car to be serviced because there is this crazy noise happening whenever you press on the gas pedal. Why do all the problems start right when you pay off the car???? I'm never buying a ford again.

No comments: