Monday, August 27, 2007

A nice trip home...

Well, I never did report on my trip to Kentucky, but I will give a summary. I flew on Northwest airlines, which could be a mistake, but I guess it could have been worse, so I won’t complain. The airline is just having some problems this summer. Anyway, I arrived home on Wednesday, Aug. 15th at 10:30, about two hours late. On Thursday, I had brunch with my sorority sister and friend (because I can’t say that about all of my s.sisters, especially one who married my ex), Dena at Mimi’s CafĂ©, a wonderful place for breakfast, went to see Katherine at Value Market, saw Butterscotch (the kitten) at mom’s office, and received a lovely pedi and mani in a shade of fuchsia. That evening, my family and I went to Havana Rumba (my favorite restaurant ever!) and I went over to my high school friend Deirdre’s new condo in Prospect. Friday, mom and I got an early start and went to several bridal shops, where I was very embarrassed because like everyone saw my breasts (I hate bridal dressing rooms sometimes), and none of the dresses fit. Now, I know that people are skeptical about David’s bridal, and I can be a bit pretentious myself, but at least they had dresses that fit me. I see the practicality of having dresses in only one size (normally, a 10), but when they are smaller and one cannot fit into the dress, then how can one decide whether or not this is her “dream dress?” So, I was able to try one on at David’s Bridal in my size (?) and it was nice. Yes, I am wearing a tea length dress because I want to and I can show off some fabulous shoes wearing the dress. I am very picky and this wedding is going to be different, and that makes me very happy. Also, I don’t want to wear a veil, period. My mom was nice enough to buy the dress; I wasn’t expecting her to do that and so, it was a sweet surprise. That night, I went over to my friend Stephanie’s house to meet her new daughter, Ella, and go to dinner. We ate at Chili’s, which I love, but some people question. Why, I’m not sure. Anyway, then I met with Celeste and her new boyfriend on 4th Street Live.

Unfortunately, I was ill for the rest of the weekend but I just kept going. My throat was sore for two days and I had a cold, which I gave to Brian later on last week. Saturday, I had to go to a family get –together in Lexington, which was fun, but I was tired and had to talk a lot. That night, Graham had a party for Sarah because she just graduated with her Ph.D. in clinical psychology. They had barbeque and everyone sat outside. Also, Sarah got a puppy from her dad for her birthday. It’s a Puli (a Hungarian sheepdog), and it is so cute. His name is Muggsy and he is black and furry. He’s a very hyper dog who likes to play. There were some neighborhood kids at the party who really liked playing with Muggsy. Sunday, I met Katherine and Eric for breakfast at the Cracker Barrel and then I went to their house to see their new cat, Jack, whom they adopted from my mom. Jack is Butterscotch’s brother, and I met their mom also, Spotty. They are all adorable. I then returned to Grandad’s to pack and say goodbye and then met my friend Nora for coffee. I was introduced to Nora through Matt Lawson, who played trumpet with Brian at the University of Louisville. Nora and Matt used to date, but they broke up a while ago. I believe I’ve talked about her in the past. She sent me this package of all this nice stuff a few months ago, and she is very smart and well-read. I enjoy being around her because we have a lot to talk about. Lastly, mom, Walt, Graham, Sarah, and I went to look at the Louisville Slugger museum as a reception site for Brian and me. However, I don’t really think it’s for me. I think that we will probably have the reception at a country club. So, that was the trip. I hope I didn’t say that that the summary would be short!!

It’s been hot in our apartment and next summer, I am begging to get air conditioning. Oh, Brian got a job last week in Ashland, Mass., which is about twenty minutes away from Marlborough. We are both really happy and relieved because he will be making a good salary. And after next month, he is paying all the rent, which means I can start to really pay down those student loans and my goal is to pay off my car before the wedding next year. I can’t wait! Also, we can really start to plan the wedding now.

We saw two movies this weekend so that we could stay out of the heat and we went to a Terrence Blanchard show at the Regatta Bar in Cambridge. The two movies were I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry and The Bourne Ultimatum. I wasn’t really impressed with either one of them and almost fell asleep in the latter. I went to the gym on Sunday and watched a lot of TV. Yes, I know that it is considered bad, but I do it anyway. I watched a marathon of the Rock of Love episodes I haven’t seen. Jes or Sam better win! I really can’t stand Lacey or Heather (although Heather is better than Lacey), so I hope they get kicked off soon.

Also, I am still reading the Harry Potter series and I am currently on The Goblet of Fire, the fourth book. So far, it is my favorite book and I’m only about a fifth of the way into it. Because I check out so many books, the librarian asked me if I read at work. I wish that I could sometimes.

I am trying out a new choir tonight in Southborough. They are called the Assabet Valley Mastersingers and they seem to have a nice repertoire. I was in the Sounds of Stow chorus last year and I may go back, but this other chorus has an open rehearsal tonight, so I want to try it out for that reason. Also, they have a chamber choir and although I may not be good enough for it, I can always ask about that opportunity as well.

It’s birthday week and I am excited! But I will be twenty-five, oh no!! Brian and I are going out to eat on Thursday, but I’m not sure where yet. I would love to go back to The Melting Pot, but Brian doesn’t really like it. If anyone in the area would like to go, let me know. It’s awfully expensive though, but great for dessert. Mary, I think there is a location in Burlington or around there. Fondue rules!

Brian’s parents are having us over for dinner next Sunday, so that may be a birthday event, too. Yes, I have a birthday week; it is a little narcissistic, but really fun.

1 comment:

On A Windy Night said...

Hahaha, I love birthday weeks too! Stretching out your birthday is the way to go! =) Glad you had a good time in Kentucky.