Thursday, February 22, 2007

I'm going home!




This has been a good and exciting week. I wish that I could motivate myself to write in my blog more often, but it doesn't always work out that way. Valentine's Day was really nice, aside from the weather. Brian and I have started this tradition of not going out on Valentine's Day. And besides, the roads were pretty bad from the ice and snow, so unless we walked to one of the restaurants on our street, we really couldn't have gone anywhere. Brian got me a large vase full of flowers-- stargazer lilies, roses, tulips, etc. It is still very beautiful and incredibly fragrant. He also bought me a card and a box of chocolates. We had a fabulous gourmet dinner, which I already posted the menu for last week. The chocolate ganache (courtesy of the Martha Stewart website; yes, I'm actually a fan of hers) was excellent, as were my potatoes, the green beans, and the steak. Brian did a good job cooking the filet mignons. Valentine's Day even came yesterday when I received the most wonderful iced sugar cookies from my very sweet mother. Thanks Mom! Anyway, on the 15th, I just basically worked early, went to the gym, did laundry, and fell asleep during yet another movie. I also cleaned the apartment in preparation for our weekend guests, Kelly from Ole Miss and Anthony Cekay, who went to U of L with Brian and now goes to school in CUNY in Manhattan.

I came home early on Friday to meet everyone, and Brian went into Boston to pick up Kelly and Cekay (who came in on the $15 Fengwah? bus), but the traffic was so bad that they didn't get here until 8 pm. We then went to this pub down the street and had a pretty good dinner and beer. We were all pretty tired and Kelly and I went to sleep early while Brian and Cekay jammed a little on the trumpet and saxophone, respectively. Saturday, I had to work (of course), and then I came home for an hour and drove to the T station to go to the city to meet Kelly. Brian had brought both he and Cekay back to the city for music stuff. Kelly auditioned for a master's program at the Boston Conservatory. We met at Hynes at 2:00 and walked to the Prudential mall, where I visited Sephora and bought some lovely "Philosophy"cal treats for my friend Nora, who sent me the box full of goodies. We walked a lot that day, to the Common and then to Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market. We had a lot of dessert that day, too-- Ben and Jerry's, gelato, and then creme brulee cheesecake at Bertucci's later. Oh, we were devilish. I also bought some wicked cool Northface gloves at City sports. We took the T to Cambridge to see Harvard and then we had dinner. Then we went back to the apartment and watched "Little Miss Sunshine," which is one of the best movies I've seen lately.

Sunday, we ate breakfast at the Main Street Cafe and I had delicious blueberry pancakes. We took Kelly to Logan airport (a scary experience) and then stopped at Target on the way back to Marlborough. Monday, I went to the gym and then went to Shrewsbury to see Gouri about helping me with my Mass. taxes. I've already done the Federal and state of Kentucky taxes and I can't wait to get my refunds (they're really not that big but it's something). Then I went to Trader Joe's, because it is right by Gouri's house. I love that place; I bought frozen blueberries, chocolate covered bananas, chai tea latte mix, dinner stuff, etc. It is the best store. Anyway, I went to choir, per usual. I sat next to a lady who said that I sounded like I had been singing for a while and that she liked singing next to me, which was a nice compliment.

Tuesday night, I went to visit my friend Mary from Northeastern and we went to eat at this restaurant in Billerica called Naked Fish, which was amazing. I had coconut encrusted Haddock and Mary had grilled chicken and we both had yummy veggies like plantains and sweet potatoes. Then we hung out at her apartment, talked about school and life, and then ate some wonderful King Cake. King Cake is a traditional cake (rather like a cinnamon bread with yellow, green, and purple colored icing) made on Shrove Tuesday or Mardi Gras, the day before Ash Wednesday, the beginning of lent. Mary even put in a little plastic baby Jesus! It's kind of a different tradition, but I like it. I miss Cajun food and celebrations.

Not much of note happened yesterday, other than that Brian and I made chicken parmesan together. Oh, I did have an interview with St. Mary's Credit Union again. Hopefully, I will get this other job. There are just a lot of problems at Banknorth, period.

Tomorrow I will fly home for the weekend. We have to leave Marlborough at 4 am to get to the Providence, RI, airport on time for my 6 am flight. I am going to a bridesmaid's luncheon at noon, then an eye appointment at 3:30, and finally, dinner at Buca di Beppo wtih lots of people at 7. And more for the rest of the weekend later. I'll come back on Monday afternoon.

Tonight, I have to pack and then we may go see a movie. Possibly "Breach" or something.

No comments: