Monday, September 11, 2006

Looking forwards... and backwards

I know that today is September 11th, everyone does. Last night, Brian's mom and I watched "60 Minutes" about the children who lost a parent five years ago today. It was really heartbreaking. Other than that, I am thinking about it, but I don't really want to talk about that horrible day right now. I really hope that doesn't sound selfish.

Today is also the day of my first class at Northeastern-- Theory and Methodology of history. Last Tuesday, we had a meeting with the other graduate students and professors and then a barbeque afterwards. I enjoyed meeting the other students, including Mary from Carver, Leslie from Kentucky (!), etc. I cannot believer there is another student from Kentucky in my program; she went to Georgetown College and has been out of school for over a year, just like me. For my two classes, I have twenty books to read (well, maybe there will just be passages from a few); I wish that the teachers would publish the syllabus so that I can order some of the books I need to read later online. They are so expensive at the bookstore.

I got the job at Starbucks; I thought they were hiring several people, but apparently, out of so many interviews, they only chose me, oh and another girl later on in the week. I worked three training shifts last week and there is actually a lot to learn, especially on how to make the hot drinks and drink calling, etc. Even though the job is okay and doesn't pay too badly, I am still trying to find jobs at banks in Metrowest Boston. Or another part-time job, such as an administrative assistant. I applied to a few jobs yesterday for Digital Credit Union; I don't know if I will get a call from them or what. I also applied for a teller position at Bank of America, now my bank, and I was deemed to not be a teller on the assessment. There wasn't any math or actually teller stuff, just questions like how well you did in school (very) and what kind of job you want, etc. Damn, if they are that picky, then they will never get anyone. So, we shall see about the other jobs.

On Friday, Brian's mom and I went to eat at Boston Market, a very good place. I love the butternut squash and spinach!! On Saturday, Brian and I went to the L.L. Bean store and I bought a pair of black snowboots for the winter; they are quite cute. I could have spent a long time in the store, but Brian isn't much of a shopper. Then, we went to the mall in Burlington, which had Sephora and some other cool stores. We drove through Lexington and saw the two houses he lived in when he was growing up in the area. We ate at a Mexican restaurant for dinner and then went to Keith and Sarah's house to watch TV. We stayed in their guest bedroom overnight; it was a nice sleep for me because the bed here is a hard foam mattress and quite uncomfortable. Yesterday morning, we drove home and at Friendly's for brunch and just did whatever yesterday. I watched "American History X" and took a walk. Crazy movie. I'm trying to take a walk everyday; it would be nice to lose weight but it's so hard. Besides, I haven't had much of an appetite most of the time anyway. The weekend was an exception.

So, I have to leave at two to go into school. It will take about 1.5 hours to get there. Ugh. Well, we are going to look for apartments soon, and closer to the city.

No comments: